March 31, 2009
The Towerlight, the independent student newspaper at Towson University, won eight regional Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence awards March 28 at the SPJ regional conference in Arlington, Va.
Senior Editor Nick DiMarco earned two third-place certificates for articles about fire fighters living in Lutherville and off-campus crime.
Photo Editor Kris Marsh and Art Director Rachel Fauber took home two of the top three places for photo illustration.
The Towerlight cover on Dropping the Drinking age in September won first place and will be considered for national honors. Marsh also received third place for feature photography.
Tyler Tech, a technology column by Tyler Waldman, was named the second best column in the region, and Towerlight alumnus Patrick Smith received two awards. Smith’s feature shot from last year’s TigerFest earned first place and will be judged in the national competition.
March 27, 2009
SmartBrief in Washington, D.C., is seeking editorial interns for Fall 2009.
Are you looking for professional experience in writing and editing? Are you interested in online publishing? If so, then SmartBrief has the internship for you. SmartBrief is a B2B publisher that is seeking editorial interns to create daily online business and consumer news in our exciting office in downtown D.C.
Our fall interns are paid a stipend. Students work alongside our editors to get experience writing, editing and choosing material for newsletters covering topics such as: media, food, travel, retail, advertising, politics, business, technology, health care, world news, insurance, construction and real estate. This internship is for 10-15 hours per week this fall, beginning in September. Must be available at 7 a.m. three days a week in our Washington, D.C., office.
* Search the Web to locate news articles and other information sources of interest to senior executives in particular industries.
* Select and summarize online articles, studies and other information for use in e-mail publications.
* Respond to reader comments and suggestions.
* Project work.
Required Skills & Experience:
* Ability to write quickly and accurately on deadline.
* Sophisticated understanding of how to find news and information on the Web.
* Facility for using online publishing tools.
* Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
* Proven record of taking initiative, sharing responsibilities and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
* News writing experience or AP style knowledge a HUGE plus! A writing test will be required.
Founded in 1999, SmartBrief is the leader in customized online news services reaching professionals in a variety of markets, including advertising, retail, hospitality, telecom, health care and consumer packaged goods.
We continue to expand rapidly and are looking for exceptional individuals to join our team. At SmartBrief, employees enjoy an entrepreneurial work environment with accelerated advancement opportunities.
SmartBrief is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please e-mail resumes to email@example.com. Place the following in the subject line: Fall Editorial Intern - JJ
Internship information courtesy of www.journalismjobs.com
March 27, 2009